Wednesday, March 9, 2011

So Yesterday In My Theatre Class..

The other day I was in my Theatre Class. It was basically an introduction to theatre. You would learn about the history of theatre, and also plays would be read. But yesterday we decided to actually go to my school's theatre. There was a play set all ready for the performers. The lights were set perfectly. There was another teacher giving us information about the theatre. I was zoning out. I couldn't tell you the name of the play that they were going to perform even if I wanted to. But then the other teacher left and it was just our regular class again. Our teacher decided to talk about all the different types of actors.

She talked about lead roles and what not. She picked people in our class to stand up as examples. I was picked later on as a "character" actor. She said she kept looking at me when thinking about the character actor. So she went on to describe what a character actor was. I looked up "character actor" on Wikipedia. It read, "A character actor is one who predominantly plays a particular type of role rather than leading ones. Character actor roles can range from bit parts to secondary leads. However, character actors often play supporting roles, characters not subject to a major change or revelation in the course of the plot, and whose role is less prominent." Our teacher went in to a bit more detail on the subject. "Usually a character actor would be the kind of actor who is kind of like a sidekick. Sometimes he's the funny one. Usually doesn't get the girl." And I stopped her there and said jokingly, "Just like in real life!" And practically my whole theatre class, which was made up of mostly girls all simultaneously responded by going "Awwwwwwwwwwww."

Now I'm thinking, was this good for me or bad? I was making a joke. I like to make jokes. It's kind of what I do considering I want to become a stand up comedian someday. Thinking about it now, I really would fit the role of a "character actor." I like being the guy who makes others laugh. I like being known as "that funny guy in class." Who knows, maybe I'll give acting a try in the near future. I like doing act outs in my comedy routines, so maybe I would enjoy doing this.

Though I like theatre, I don't think I can ever categorize myself as a theatre person. I look at many theatre people as pretentious people. Most of the time they think they are better than they really are. Many of them lack the ability to be humble. Heck, I don't even think that word is in their vocabulary unless it was in a script or something. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about everyone who considers themselves a theatre person. I'm talking about the people that I've met, usually these people are actually very good at performing, and usually they land leads.  But holy hell, are they hard to work with. Which is why maybe a character actor roll would suit my personality better.

1 comment: